Summary of CDC Actions
September 24, 2014 Meeting
The following is a summary of official actions* taken by the ANC 2F Community Development Committee (CDC) at its September 24, 2014 meeting, as well as other agenda items that came before the Committee but which did not require a vote.
|SPECIAL NOTICE: The October CDC meeting will not be held on the usual fourth Wednesday of the month. Instead, the meeting will be held on Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 7pm at the Washington Plaza Hotel. Subscribers to ANC 2F’s email list will receive additional reminders about the date change|
- The CDC voted unanimously (9-0) to recommend that the full ANC recommend HPRB support for the concept and massing for the rear addition to 1608 14th St, NW (the location of Rice restaurant) as being consistent with the 14th St Historic District. The vote included a friendly amendment indicating the Committee’s strong preference for CMU siding material on the addition.
- After extensive Committee discussion and community input, the CDC voted (6-0-3) to recommend that the full ANC support the raze application for the contributing historic buildings at 911 & 913 L St, NW (Square 369), with the caveat that the owner promise to do as much as possible to deconstruct the two buildings in question and incorporate the facades and/or buildings designs into the interior of the proposed hotel development.
- SB Urban made a number of zoning requests related to its proposed 123 unit rental properties (two buildings) at 90 & 91 Blagden Alley, NW. The CDC voted unanimously (9-0) to recommend that the full ANC recommend Board of Zoning Adjustment endorsement of the following: 1) a side yard variance for the 91 Blagden Alley, including a Committee request for an easement to the additional public alley space created by the variance; 2) an open court width variance for 90 Blagden Alley; 3) a lot occupancy variance allowing for only the first floor of 90 Blagden Alley; and, 4 & 5) a special exception for multiple penthouses and related setback requirements for both buildings.
- The Committee tabled a vote on the requested 100% parking variances for both 90 & 91 Blagden Alley. The Committee asked the Applicant to return to the October 29 CDC meeting to address the parking variance requests in greater detail. Specifically, the Committee requested details about the the freight loading/unloading situation for the project, and the Applicant’s plans to increase bike sharing options in the immediate neighborhood.
- The Committee voted (8-0-1) to recommend that the full ANC endorse the HPRB concept, massing, and final design of an addition to 1327 Q St, NW. The vote included a friendly amendment asking the Applicant to ensure no planted materials on the roof would be visible from the street level.
- The Committee voted unanimously (8-0) to recommend that the full ANC endorse the HPRB concept and massing for 1209-1213 10th St, NW (The American, in Blagden Alley). The project, as proposed, would preserve the building’s existing massing except for the addition of a small wing for restrooms.
Other Items Considered:
- The developer and architect for 925 M St, NW (a proposed, new single residential building with two units), presented its initial concept, massing, and design to the CDC. The Committee largely supported the concept and massing of the project, while providing a great deal of feedback about the initial design of the project. No action was taken, as the Applicant will return to the CDC for the October 29 meeting.
*All actions taken by the CDC will be presented at the October 1, 2o14 ANC 2F regular monthly public meeting for consideration and a final vote by the full Commission. Please note that this meeting summary is provided by ANC 2F as a courtesy for individuals who were not able to attend the CDC meeting. The information contained here within is not an exhaustive summary nor does it constitute official meeting minutes. The above information may not be referenced in any official business matter related to the Commission. Please see the “Minutes” page of the ANC 2F blog for official meeting business.