- Sherri Kimbel of Councilmember Jack Evans’ office provided the following updates:
- The mass swearing in ceremony for all newly elected officials will be on January 2, 2015, likely at the Convention Center. Those interested in a more private swearing in ceremony may request to do so at Councilmember Evans’ office.
- Ross Elementary School is holding an Electronics Recycling Event Saturday, November 8, from 11am – 2pm. All donations will benefit the school.
- The Logan Circle Community Association will be holding a Holiday Potluck on November 20 and its annual Logan Circle House Tour on December 7.
- A proposed D.C. Council bill is currently in Committee to address bicycle riding on sidewalks. Kimbel made the ANC aware of the opportunity to weigh in.
- Next Tuesday, November 11, Veterans Day will be observed in the District of Columbia. Among other events this year, Washington, D.C. will host the “Concert for Valor” on the National Mall.
- The 4th Annual Little Goblins Parade (on October 25) was a great success. Special thanks to Moms in Logan Circle, MPD, and area businesses along the Goblins’ route.
- Community members Joel Heisey and Helen Kramer (who also sit on the ANC 2F Community Development Committee), brought illegal construction activity at 1420 and 1422 12th St, NW to the Commission’s attention. The adjoining row houses are currently undergoing complete gut renovations without proper permitting. Heisey and Kramer asked that the Commission pen a letter to DCRA (see “New Business”) expressing community concerns with the agency’s lack of enforcement, and the resulting unfairness to all those who abide by the rules.
- Commissioner Fanning took a moment to congratulate the newly-elected and re-elected Commissioners for ANC 2F:
- 2F-01: Katherine Gordon
- 2F-02: Karin Barry
- 2F-03: Write-in (TBD)
- 2F-04: John Fanning (incumbent)
- 2F-05: Jim Lamare (incumbent)
- 2F-06: Charlie Bengel
- 2F-07: Write-in (TBD)
- 2F-08: Kevin Deeley (incumbent)
ABRA POLICY COMMITTEE (APC) REPORT
- The Commission voted unanimously (6-0) to adopt the APC Committee report, which included the following: 1) license renewal support for 1440 P St, NW (Whole Foods); 2) license renewal support for 1524 14th St, NW (Cork & Fork), and; 3) license class change support (from D-X to C-X) for 1501 14th St, NW (Studio Theatre).
- As a separate matter, the Commission voted unanimously (6-0) to support the license renewal for 1231 11th St, NW (Capitol Supermarket), with an amendment to the Applicant’s Settlement Agreement explicitly prohibiting deliveries from taking place in the alley behind the property, unless the dedicated loading zone in front of the establishment is unavailable due to extenuating circumstances.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE (CDC) REPORT
- The Commission voted unanimously (6-0) to support the following Applicant requests considered at the CDC’s October 29 meeting: 1) BZA zoning relief and design plan support for 1017 12th St, NW; 2) HPRB concept and massing for 925 M St, NW, and; 3) HPRB concept, massing, and design support for 1222 11th St, NW. The vote also included opposition to 1320 14th St, NW’s (The Pig) DDOT public space application for a sidewalk café, as neither the Applicant nor their representative was present at the CDC meeting to present the project or answer related questions. The denial was procedural and did not consider the merits of the application. The Applicant was present and indicated he would make a formal request at the December CDC meeting.
- After extensive discussion, the Commission voted in favor (4-3) of the requested BZA parking special exception for 90 Blagden Alley, NW and parking variance for 91 Blagden Alley, NW. Several Commissioners and community members expressed their opposition to 100% parking variance for the fully furnished 123-unit residential project, also noting the negative precedent being set. In a prepared statement read aloud, Commissioner Walt Cain, (who was not present at the meeting) wrote that “the very nature of [this particular] development makes it unique among projects requesting this extent of parking relief. I believe the Applicant has show the project will have only a minimal impact on the community’s parking stock, and that they are putting in place significant remedial efforts to address the concerns identified by the community and CDC. Relatedly, the Applicant has approached this process cooperatively and in good faith, serving as a partner with the community and ANC in resolving concerns.”
- The CDC report also included a summary of the presentation given by the Applicant behind 1428 9th St, NW (initial HPRB design presentation), and a request made by Commissioners Cain and Melcher to the community at large (and especially neighbors in the vicinity of the proposed Marriott hotel project at 9th & L, NW) to communicate to ANC 2F a list of desired improvements for inclusion in the Community Benefits Agreement that will be part of the planned unit development (PUD).
- The December CDC meeting will not be held on the usual fourth Wednesday of the month. Instead, the meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 7pm at the Washington Plaza Hotel. Subscribers to ANC 2F’s email list will receive additional reminders about the date change.
CRIME & PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE (CPSC) REPORT
- No Committee update.
EDUCATION COMMITTEE REPORT
- No Committee update.
- The Commission voted unanimously (7-0) to write a “substantially similar” letter to the draft letter presented by community members Joel Heisey and Helen Kramer during the Community Forum section of the meeting. The letter will address concerns about unpermitted and illegal construction at 1420 & 1422 12th St, NW, as well as DCRA’s lack of enforcement.
*Please note that this meeting summary is provided by ANC 2F as a courtesy for individuals who were not able to attend the Regular Monthly Public Meeting. The information contained here within is not an exhaustive summary nor does it constitute official meeting minutes. The above information may not be referenced in any official business matter related to the Commission. Please see the “Minutes” page of the ANC 2F blog for official meeting business.